This week I had just a small handfull of green beans in my CSA box and LOTS of tomatoes. I’ve been making the standard country dish of green beans/new potatoes/onions/ham all summer and was ready for something different. I ran on to this recipe from Weight Watchers, having over 400 reviews and a 4-1/2 star rating I thought it would be worth a try. I wasn’t disappointed. Along with my CSA tomatos it made a fantastic, easy and quick side dish. Bonus: Basil was $1 per big bunch at my local farmstand!
This recipe makes a large quantity but can easily be adjusted for any amount you have. Read on after the menu for my modifications.
Roasted Green Beans and Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- 4 cups green snap beans, trimmed
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatos, cut in half or quartered if large.
- 1/4 cup basil
- 2 tsp minced garlic, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Coat a large roasting pan with olive oil.
- Place green beans in a single layer in prepared pan and brush with olive oil. Roast until desired doneness, stirring once or twice, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of basil, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
- When green beans are finished, remove from oven and spoon tomato mixture into pan; toss thoroughly. Serve hot, room temperature or chilled, topped with remaining 2 tablespoons of basil. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Things I changed:
- Added a sprinkle of salt to the green beans before roasting.
- I used a mix of whole peppercorns in a grinder instead of straight black pepper
- Use any tomatoes you have on hand. I used yellow grape and small red. If you have regular large tomatoes, just cut them into chunks
- Added the tomato mix to the green beans in the oven for the last two minutes. This warms the tomatoes, garlic and basil and releases some yummy juices.
- Pour it all in a bowl, toss and serve. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
One other thing you will need – a great loaf of bread to sop up all that yummy juice! Enjoy!